Sunday, October 17, 2010

Love you, Grandpa

These are some pics of my Grandpa Spencer. He passed away Saturday. It was bitter-sweet. Sweet for him as he had been in constant pain and bitter for us that we will miss Grandpa.
Grandpa is one of my heroes. He's one who encouraged me and helped me get started in family history. I loved his "Spencer blue eyes" that have been passed down to my kids. I have great patriotism and tears come to my eyes when I see an American flag and that comes from his patriotism.

But Grandpa's last years in life were a miracle. He had two massive heart attacks and wasn't supposed to live past 60. He died on the day he turned 84.5 exactly. He decided to quit taking all of his meds and the doctor gave him two weeks...that was in January. He lived "by the book" but confounded any medical science out there. And I've decided it was because of his heart.
His heart was weak, leaking blood, and not supposed to still be beating. But it was that heart that was valiant. At Grandpa's 80th b-day party the only speech he gave was: "Follow the Prophet". He wasn't a man of prominence in worldly possessions or in popularity. His life was simple and everything he did was for his family. He was valiant as a family man and in living the gospel. Bedridden, he asked to be able to vote in his home. He also hasn't been able to attend the temple for quite some time, but he wanted to keep his temple recommend current. Although he's not a fighting type at all, he served as a soldier in WWII and has instilled in me a love for my country and appreciating the comforts in life I enjoy.
I love my Grandpa and I will miss him. But I imagine he had quite the reunion on the other side: free from pain; seeing his parents, some siblings, his oldest son Randi (who died as an infant), and even meeting his great-grandson, Jeb Spencer.

4 comments:

Dustin and Connie said...

This is so sweet, Jen! I am so sorry for the "bitter" part, but I agree, there was a "sweet" reunion with those he has missed on the other side. I am sure he is teaching Jeb everything he taught you!! Love you and my prayers are with your family! He sounded like an incredible man...someone we could all learn from!

Michelle said...

This is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Grandmummsie said...

May he live in our hearts and may our hearts be as steadfast in living the gospel as he was. Thank you for your beautiful tribute.

Terra said...

That's a beautiful tribute. Sometimes it's sad to me that we lived away and didn't get to know him as well as the other grandkids. I learned more about his life at his funeral, I think. I loved seeing you!