Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Strawberries and "Bernie" bushes

I couldn't wait for the day that Riley and I could plant strawberries together.  I was actually pleasantly surprised at how helpful and enthusiastic Riley actually was!
 The stick in the ground says "Riley's Strawberries" so we could tell them apart.



 Sadly, after a few frost, not the best soil, and wind, and maybe lack of water, the strawberries have perished.  Riley had 3 plants that almost made it, but they too have gone under. Sigh....maybe next year.


Back in Dayton, my parents had some bushes that I always liked on the side of their house.  I asked Mom the name of them and they're called "Burning Bushes" because they turn a beautiful red color.  My children thought I called them "Bernie Bushes" (my father-in-law is Bernie) and it has stuck ever since.
 Before.
Evan & Hyrum digging holes with their shovels.  Hyrum likes digging holes!
Lindsay supervising. 


We had 4 bushes and so we said that the 3 on the side of the house could be Hyrum's, Riley's and Lindsay's.    So they each chose one (well, Hyrum & Riley did and Lindsay got the one that was left over) and here they are sitting in front of them.  Yes, Riley is screaming.  Oh well, typical 3 year old.

1 comment:

Janelle Johnson said...

So sad that the strawberries did not survive.