Sunday, March 10, 2013

Dreams Unfulfilled

We are the proud owners of a clavinova! yaya! I have these dreams of my children becoming pianists. And I actually dream of myself being able to plunk along on the piano enough to play something recognizable during family home evening.
 
My mom had this painting hung up in the "pretty room" (which was actually a torture chamber. I was FORCED to practice violin for 20 minutes/day up until age 15. My poor mother. I think she had great dreams too.) 
 Thank you, Greg Olsen.
 
So when I saw my daughters together by the piano, I tried to recreate it:
 In the words of Pinterest "fails" everywhere,
Nailed it!
Another dream that I have, is that despite mine and my husband's physical limitations, I have this strange desire that my children will actually be athletic. I think it was once again confirmed that although we have fun, we cannot breathe and dribble a ball at the same time. Let alone make a basket. Good thing we've got our good looks. (Hyrum is the blue t-shirt under the blue jersey)


And in the most dreamy of all dreams, my mom invited Riley, Lindsay, and I to join her and Decca for Disney on Ice: Dare to Dream in Salt Lake. We were simply dazzled.
At first I wasn't going to let Riley wear her Cinderella dress, but then I decided it would be ok. Good thing she wore it. As soon as we were in sight of the Energy Solutions Arena, there were billions of princesses on the crosswalks. We were surrounded! I don't know if Riley liked it or not: she is used to being THEEE only princess. The jury is still out on whether those other girls were actual princesses or not.
I never did decide if flash photography was allowed or not. So the only picture I took was of Maximus on the ice because whoever the two people were that managed that costume...I think they had the hardest job of all. The costumes were great!

At the end, most all of the Disney princesses were invited by Mickey and Minnie for the crowning of Rapunzel as she came back to her kingdom. The princesses were all in white/gold costumes but they were fashioned in that princess's style. They did a cool job with that. I think that finale was pretty darn exciting. As I turned to look at Decca, there were actual tears in her eyes. I think that she has found her calling in life. She'll probably turn in her two weeks notice at the dental office and catch a ride with the Disney on Ice tour bus today as it leaves Salt Lake City.
As we were leaving, Grandmummsie spoiled Princess Riley one last time with a real Rapunzel braid (when Evan saw it, he told Hyrum that they had missed out on the opportunity to make millions of dollars making and selling Rapunzel braids. I told Evan that I didn't think twine braids would be as big of a hit).
I asked Riley if she was Rapunzerella or Cinderpunzel. I think she went with Cinderpunzel but either of those names sound more like a monster from one of Grimm's fairy tales than a princess. Oh well. We LOVED seeing the princesses on ice! ;)


2 comments:

Janelle Johnson said...

So the princess dream was fulfilled! And I think the top right shot of the girls looks just like the Greg Olsen picture. I heard about Hyrum's basketball, so fun!

Andrea Pulsipher said...

Dreams do come true. . . some of them anyway! We're getting a serious case of spring fever; we need to get together (if my girls can stop being sick).